There are moments in life where you mentally kick yourself over and over, obsessing over a barrage of “what ifs” – knowing that the domino effect of what’s to come could’ve easily been avoided had either you made a different choice, or the circumstances surrounding you had been different. Of course, life is meant to be a teacher; and God, The Universe, or whatever spiritual ideology you choose to believe in never gives you more than you can handle. And yet, it still seems to take time before you get passed the mental kicking and cycle of “if I had just done this…”
I suppose it’s just the nature of being human and learning with the ebb and flow of life. This means that during the domino effect or the results of events to come, we also have a choice of how to deal/respond as we see our way through the storm.
This is going to be a chaotic and lively week as I maneuver through a more stressful moment in life. And though this particular storm is not life-threatening and not anything at all uncommon, admittedly, I still do the human thing and kick myself (often). However, as I’ve gotten older, I’ve made it a point to try to focus on the positive and look for the gratitude in every situation. I must say, it’s an interesting exercise when you consciously catch yourself alternating between the kicking and the gratitude.
I’m choosing to focus on the positive at this particular moment. It’s a huge aspect of why I even started blogging almost 2 years ago and started my “5 Reasons” series 7 months ago.
So, I’ll take a deep breath, tell myself to take it one step at a time, focus on finding the lesson, ask The Universe to send good vibes and look forward to these 5 reasons this week rock…even during the storm.
1. I’d planned to take some time off and have a quiet staycation here at home for my birthday next week, but my sneaky boyfriend made other plans much to delight. Last week, he handed me a box and said it was an early birthday present. Inside, reservations for a quaint hotel in Ojai! My staycation just turned into a vacation! I’m SO looking forward it. This unexpected surprise will be what will carry me through the week! I can’t wait. 🙂
2. I’m 100% back to normal after my cold last week. It’ll be nice to get back to life healthy and rested. I’ll need it to make it through a rather hectic week ahead.
3. The new read for my next book club meeting is now on my Kindle ready to go! I’m excited for Wally Lamb’s new novel, We Are Water.
4. Aside from always being grateful for steady employment – things are expected to be busy at work this week. I’m in the middle of a huge project that I’m enjoying and being challenged by. It’s a great change of pace.
5. Movie night with my boyfriend (who totally rocks by the way!). Looking forward to a weekday night at one of my favorite theaters and Tom Hardy in Locke. Looks intense and currently 89% on Rotten Tomatoes? I’m there. Here’s the trailer!
Have a good week, guys! I can’t believe April will be leaving us shortly.