As I think about it, there are several stages to the Valentine’s Day experience I believe many women go through. As a kid, you were
forced encouraged to swap Valentine’s with your classmates, literally walking home with tons of cards and heart-shaped candy (along with the biggest sugar rush ever to your parent’s delight). In middle school, you sent candy grams to all your girlfriends, and they to you, as a mark of solidarity. In high school, somehow that all changed and you watched with disdain that only the popular girls somehow now got all the candy grams delivered right in the middle of English class. In college, you were just plain bummed to be single and/or annoyed by all the hoop-la so you holed up in your dorm room watching movies until this ridiculous excuse for a holiday was over. In your early twenties, Valentine’s Day became “Single’s Appreciation Day,” and you were as Destiny’s Child once said, an “Independent Woman” so you’d grab your single girlfriends and make your own rules (I don’t need no man!). And then one day, whatever day or age it may be, you meet your Valentine.
From there, it may revert back to the early twenties stage where you find yourself celebrating Single’s Appreciation Day again after a break-up; or perhaps after years in a relationship, it just becomes another day.
I think I’ve gone through almost (almost) every iteration of the typical women’s Valentine’s Day experience. This year, I happen to be on the team that has a Valentine and he’s always good about making it special.
While I’m aware, and in complete agreement with those that think, that love (and flowers, and chocolate, and kind words) should come more than once a year on a consumerist driven holiday, I couldn’t help but dedicate a little space to that thing we call love and all the hoop-la surrounding it.
Here’s what I’m lovin’ right now…the Valentine’s Day edition…
- SAY | 30 Ways to Say “I Love You” | Huffington Post.
- BAKE | Skinny Pink Champagne Cupcakes | The Skinny Fork.
- UNWIND | Jo Malone “Red Roses” Bath Oil | Nordstrom.
- WEAR | Pink Knot Front Dress | Victoria’s Secret.
- PAINT | Festive Valentine’s Day Mani.
- COOK | 15 Creative Dinner Ideas for Celebrating Valentine’s Day | All Yummy Recipes.
- CREATE | Personalized M&M’s | My M&M’s
- CRAFT | D.I.Y. Frosted Vase | A Beautiful Mess.
- BRIGHTEN | Pure Color Cheek Rush in X-Pose Rose | Estee Lauder.
- SMEAR | The Kiss Lip Balm | Lush.
- BUY | Handmade Valentine’s Day Cards | Sew Colorful Designs.
- WATCH | The Top Romantic Movies for Valentine’s Day | Better Homes and Gardens.